Dear list

I’ve just been reading back through some of the past discussions on Silver
production / Yorkshire Mine etc. I’m wondering how or if the mines on the
north side of Wensleydale might fit in. Plus I read that soft lead was best
suited for de-silvering.

Would the quality of the lead suit the separation of Silver in medieval
times?

Some reports around 1800 say that ore from Beldon and Virgin mines (near
Carperby in Wensleydale, not the other Beldon)produced remarkably soft
lead. One for Beldon is as follows;-
  ‘A partnership at Beldon are getting a considerable quantity of small
grey and blue ore, I saw one of the smelters a few days ago who says they
have smelted  about 50 pieces and that it runs better & makes more lead
than was expected from the appearance’

I wonder if Bobscar Vein might have also produced such soft lead near the
surface.

Some reports suggest that some of the ore in Wensleydale was relatively
rich in Silver. The Mining Journal says that at one time Keld Heads lead
produced 13 oz per ton and W. Horn 1906 said that lead from Aysgarth mine
was also had a high Silver content.

Thanks
Ian Spensley