On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:14:31 +0100, Robert Waterhouse
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear Alasdair,
>Brilliant! Thanks.  One query - Cock's Shaft at Wheal Crebor was only a
short distance from the wheel, so why 900m?  Could this one be 90m?  Unless
Cock's was being pumped at a late date in the mine's history by the West
Crebor beam engine.
>The mid-Wales & Derwent mines sound like they might be John Taylor's
mines.  Are they?
>Robert

Woops! sorry for Cock's read (I think) Remfry's.
In Mid Wales some of the mines were JT&S's but there were many others. When
I have time I will look through the relevant literature, unless anyone else
can do so before hand. Although water power was alaways preominant in the
area, it is possible long runs of flat rods were only brought in when the
Taylors became involved in the area - can anyone confirm this?

Incidently there is stuff about Wheal Crebor waterwheels in Harveys of
Hayle papers at Cornwall CRO, unfortunately this collection appears to be
in need of indexing for mine names - the catalogue only contains random
mine references.
Alasdair Neill