From: Mariano Paniello <[log in to unmask]>

>....arguments positing that historical forces are pushing cultures
inevitably.... ideas which seem more at home in the pages of Spengler than in
modern scholarship.

my reading of Spengler is that he is not so much "positing historical forces
pushing cultures" as merely making observations about quite a few uncanny
"coincidences" which seem to be present in the history of various historical
cultures, planet-wide.

to put the argument the other way round reminds me of the common
mis-construing of the ancient discipline of Astrology, claiming that it
"posits" that the "stars" dictated events on earth.

when it did no such thing, actually being concerned with the discovery and
explication of a perceived synchronisity between events discernable in the
heavens and those unfolding on this particular planet.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]