We are now investigating it in a project called "Die Bühne des
Fürsten", the stage of the prince, taking in focus the regime of duke
Rudolf IV. of Habsburg († 1365) and his activities to attract the
citicens of medieval societies, for instance in the towns. He made
for intance the portals of the St. Stephans cathedral in Vienna ready
before the nave, with statues of himself and his wife, the daughter
of king/emperor Charles IV. I will keep you informed about the
progress of the research, if you are interested. Think also on the
donors of the portals of Chartres: If we are able to see the role of
the church - as a building AND as institution - in the town, we will
come closer to interprete the figures thereon. Please don't forget
the cemetaries there around, which were public places far beyond the
pictures in our minds. And don't forget the role these gigantic
building sites played in the daily life and economy in a medieval town.
yous
b.k.

Am 28. Jän.2006 um 20:53 Uhr schrieb Jim Bugslag:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
>> The doors of a church connect two parts of the world - in reality and
>> symbolic. Somehow the liturgy is continued outwards and the Rituals
>> of the public come near and in. The church as building is a medium
>> for the people and also the doors: People can read it and people can
>> use it. You know the importance of entrada in the medieval society.
>> Therefore it is important, whre you go in or out and how. You have
>> also to think on many activities just in front of a church-door, e.g.
>> trials etc. It would be a large and interesting field to discuss the
>> portals as a form of communication between church and socity, but I
>> think, it would be too large for this forum.
>> Yours
>
> Dear Karl,
> You are absolutely right about the need for more work to be done on
> how doors
> function.  One of the few articles I have found on these matters is
> Barbara Deimling,
> "Le portail d'eglise au Moyen Age et sa signification juridique
> historique," in Rolf
> Toman, L'Art Roman (Cologne: Konemann, 1996), also available in the
> original
> German and in an English translation.  As my original query
> suggests, I believe that
> there are two separate aspects of the function of doors.  They were
> certainly used
> liturgically and juridically, and those usages must have been
> carefully defined in
> written form.  But there were also a range of "popular" uses, which
> is what I am
> interested in.  We know much less about these, because they were
> never enshrined
> in written codification.
> Cheers,
> Jim Bugslag