-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Al Magary
Sent: Samstag, 21. Januar 2006 07:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] DuCange Glossarium (was Re: [M-R] Martyr)

DuCange is available in *much* better PDFs, from new scans, at the
Stanford Medieval & Modern Thought digitization project:
http://standish.stanford.edu/bin/page?forward=home   When you see them
you will immediately discard the wretched Gallica PDFs which were made
from old scratched film.  The 1840-50 ed. (7 vols.) of DuCange is
available as is the 1857 supplement.  The 1883-87 ed. (10 vols.) is
incomplete at the moment but I just this week persuaded the manager to
put the missing vols. 1, 5, and 7 higher in the scanning queue, so you
can look for them soonish.

For those interested in the vast Rolls Series, MMT has quite a lot of
volumes already online--the Matthew Paris range is nearly
complete--again in *much* better PDFs than at Gallica, and more may be
coming.  Also online:  Hampson's Medii Aevi Kalendarium (both vols.);
six of M.R. James' descriptive catalogues of Cambridge MSS; Froissart's
Chroniques, ed. Buchart (14 vols.); Baring-Gould's Lives of the British
Saints (4 vols.); and more.

Stanford MMT's bibliographic data is not bad but the database functions
are weak--eg, no single search/browse tool will turn up all the James
catalogues--so look thoroughly.

Cheers,
Al Magary

Christopher Crockett wrote:

> most of DuCange is available on-line --albeit in a somewhat clunky
format-- on
> the Gallica site:
>
> http://gallica.bnf.fr
>
> it's even possible to download the massive .pdf files and burn them onto a
> CD.
>
> though that's Tedious in the Extreme to do.

Infimae
>> Latinitatis 4:291-2.
>> Even in the middle ages, there was a tendency to apply the term
>> "martyr" to those who had died violently and (in the eyes of
>> the writer) unjustly, for example English royalty killed by
>> their relatives, cf. Rollason, "The Cults of Murdered Royal Saints in
>> Anglo-Saxon England" in  Anglo-Saxon England 11 (1983) 1-22.  I believe
>>
> also
>
>> Boris and Gleb fall into this category.
>> Meg
>> To send a message to the list, address it to:
>> To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>> to: [log in to unmask]
>> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>> For further information, visit our web site:
>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

>> To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>> to: [log in to unmask]
>> To send a message to the list, address it to:
>> To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>> to: [log in to unmask]
>> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>> For further information, visit our web site:
>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html
>>

>> --
1/19/2006

>> To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>> to: [log in to unmask]
>> To send a message to the list, address it to:
>> To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>> to: [log in to unmask]
>> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>> For further information, visit our web site:
>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]