Most of the medieval churches I have visited use a side door for daily
access if they still are in use for worship.  Placing of the picture of St.
Christopher opposite the door in daily use can be seen in parishes like that
in Pickering (Yorks.) when wall paintings can be recovered.

I believe the reason for this was that there was a superstition that if you
looked on the face of St Christopher you would not die unshriven that day.
Thus this door was often left open during the week so casual passers-by
could see St Chris & be reassured. In the days of hazardous travel when you
went on foot from village to village, this probably mattered! And is this
not why St Chris is such a popular icon for travellers - even those by car -
who no longer know why ?
I can't give a source for this - it is another bit from my rag-bag memory !

Brenda M.C.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]