Dear listmembers,
I wonder if anyone knows of studies, preferably not in Spanish which I don't read
very well, on the custom of pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela of placing their
hand on the base of the trumeau of the west portal, the Portico de la Gloria, under
the statue of St James, before they enter the church.  There is actually a handprint
rubbed into the trumeau, supposedly by the identically placed hands of innumerable
pilgrims.  I've run across another instance of this on a column in the crypt of the
church of Notre-Dame at Orcival, in the Auvergne, just in front of the relic (or
image) shrine.  Does anyone know of other such instances of this practice?
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]