In answer to Hilary's query about innovative ways of creating signing
and guiding using symbols and pictures - you can search the Designing
Libraries database for libraries with special signage/guiding relating
to accessibility, and also view images in the Librarian's Choice
gallery, which is currently concentrating on signs and guiding.

We would also be interested to hear from libraries that have images of
signs and guiding they are proud of, to add to the gallery.

 Designing Libraries is at: http://www.designinglibraries.org.uk
<http://www.designinglibraries.org.uk/>
The gallery is at: http://www.designinglibraries.org.uk/gallery

Hope this helps!