-----Original Message-----
From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Smith, Nicky
Sent: 10 January 2006 10:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LIS-PUB-LIBS] An observation re-DVDs

Without wishing to sound like a press officer for Lovefilm, most of them
allow you to put your account on hold whenever you like. And Amazon have a
fixed number of dvds a month for a cheaper amount service.

Another factor in dvd income declining is surely the growth of Freeview.
With more than 60% (and rising fast) of households having 20 or more tv
channels, that's bound to have an effect on dvd rentals. There's only so
much time you can spend watching tv regardless of the amount on offer. I
know I'm less likely to watch a dvd if I can just change channels and find a
reasonable programme. Plus, the BBC are supposedly making programmes
available online this year.

Nicky Smith
Reference Librarian,
Marylebone Information Service,