From: Repositories discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Matthew J. Dovey
Sent: 17 January 2006 13:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [JISC-REPOSITORIES] Institutional Repositories: do they need a
new name?

> The subject header on this email was intended to be
> provocative so that
> everyone would read this email!

However, this is a very good point. At Oxford when we convened a group of
relevant parties (from libraries, archives, museums, e-learning, e-science
etc.) to discuss an Institutional Repository, we had as many (if not more)
definitions of "repository" than people around the table.

I think the only common theme is that a "repository" is defined as much by
its use as by its contents e.g. an e-learning repository primary objective
is typically re-use rather than preservation; an archival repository on the
other hand is often more focused on long term preservation than allowing the
use of the data (indeed may not necessarily have any delivery component); an
experimental data repository might be focused on enabling validation of
experiments; a pre-prints archive on pre-publication peer review resulting
in improvements to the published article; a post-publication repository in
preserving the article etc. (and this list is by no means exhaustive).

I think a pertinent question is whether there is enough commonality between
all the things which have picked up the "repository" nomenclature to justify
attempting to view these as aspects of the same thing, or as completely
different things with similar names!

Matthew Dovey
Oxford University