Lucy

Can I put in there that this reply has two serious problems that should be identified.

Firstly, the notion that one 'institutional repository' should hold all of a university's e-objects is an absurd one, and generally recognized by my audiences as soon as I say it. The present state of software does not support such a scheme, nor are the characteristics of the objects anywhere near uniform. A great deal of time and money is wasted by people who haven't yet realized this simple fact. A university needs several ‘e-repositories’ or ‘e-libraries’, whatever you call them.

Having said that, let's define an 'open access institutional repository' or OA IR as one that exists primarily to provide open access to the research output of the university or research institution. The reasons for doing this are to (a) substantially increase the access to and citation of published research works, and (b) have a record of the research output; in the UK this can be useful for the RAE. The following characteristics apply to OA IRs:

o        The e-objects are WORM (write once, read many times), just like a CD-R. Once deposited, never modified.

o        The costs are low, under $A10k/year plus a half-time person to manage.

o        Free good open-source software is available, or there are commercial service providers at reasonable prices if you don’t want to do it in-house.

o        Interworking standards are mature and well-defined.

o        Time to implementation can be measured in a few months.

o        Benefits are well-defined, and quantifiable.

There are therefore very strong imperatives for establishing an OA IR immediately if it hasn't been done already. An OA IR must hold all published journal and conference papers, and all research higher degree theses (which are refereed by examiners). It may (if desired) hold unpublished research reports, book chapters, etc, but these are not essential.

All the other collections of e-objects deserve special treatment and should not be mixed up with the OA IR under any circumstances. I call these digital library functions. The applications are experimental, and the software and standards are not mature. The e-objects may be difficult to index or search (images), complex in structure (e-publishing), highly dynamic (teaching objects), or have high archival value and high restrictions (correspondence storage), etc. All these translate into complex software, complex workflows, immature technology, and high costs.

Secondly, the last thing you want in establishing an OA IR is to get bureaucracy involved. It is certainly needed to get high level executive support, and the involvement of a Research Committee in an OA IR, but the retention tail should not wag the OA IR dog. The facts are:

o        All published works in an OA IR are already guaranteed to be preserved by the publishers (journals, etc) locally and in many cases are also preserved in paper or e-copies globally.

o        All theses are preserved (for the present at least) in hard copy form in the libraries of the universities.

o        All objects in an OA IR are therefore candidates for retention only because it is nice. Not because it is essential.

o        There is an argument for trying to retain the ‘born-digital' objects, since paper copies and scanned copies of paper are very poor cousins of born-digital objects for every purpose except preservation.

Don't get me wrong here. I think that archival retention of the contents of an OA IR is highly desirable, and my own university (Tasmania) is working towards this. However, my calculations of the content growth of OA IRs in Australia (knowing the annual research output of each university and extrapolating the disk storage capacity in servers) suggests that we have ten years or more before there is any problem whatsoever about keeping the contents of OA IRs fully online. And even then, there might be no problem.

The corollary is that retention strategies can well be set up, but they are very definitely secondary to the main game: setting up an OA IR and populating it with 100% of a university's research output. They should do nothing to impede these priorities.

In summary, I couldn’t agree less with the idea of trying to set up a catch-all repository whose first priority is non-research data.

Arthur Sale

Professor of Computing (Research)

University of Tasmania