Dear all,

Here at Manchester Metropolitan University, we are currently in the process of setting up
our institutional repository. At this moment, we have yet to populate the repository, and
have yet to establish the best ways in which to get content for the repository and at the
same time raising awareness of the service.

Among the strategies currently considered for this task are speaking to research
directors (either face-to-face or via e-mail), contacting academics that have published
widely, producing publicity and publishing articles in university
publications/newsletters, and being present at departmental meetings, to speak directly
about the repository and answer any questions/concerns. Of course, doing all this does not
guarantee content, and we have discovered that although many academics are willing and
interested, actually getting hold of the content is another matter entirely. We have yet
to establish whether or not we are going to offer a mediated service or are going to
encourage self-archiving. Reasons for not getting the content include fears of copyright
infringement and misunderstanding of the issues; I rather suspect that some may feel
whatever they have to do to contribute will take up too much time.

How have other repositories gone about a) raising awareness of the repository and b)
having raised awareness, getting content for submission into the repository? Have you
encountered any problems with trying to promote a service still very much in its infancy
and with little (or no) content? Have you found that the more content you have, the more
willing others are to deposit?

Many thanks.

Sarah Kaufman

Sarah Kaufman
Assistant Librarian
Electronic Services Development Team/e-space
Manchester Metropolitan University
Minshull House
47 - 49 Chorlton Street
Manchester
M1 3FY

(0161) 247 6115 (ESDT)
(0161) 247 6677 (e-space)
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/library

Before acting on this email or opening
any attachments you should read the
Manchester Metropolitan University's
email disclaimer available on its website

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer