Hi Matthew,

Leaving aside for now the touchy issue of definitions of "repository"
... (and discussing definitions across domains is always fun isn't it?) ...

Matthew J. Dovey wrote:

>I think the only common theme is that a "repository" is defined as much
>by its use as by its contents e.g. an e-learning repository primary
>objective is typically re-use rather than preservation; an archival
>repository on the other hand is often more focused on long term
>preservation than allowing the use of the data (indeed may not
>necessarily have any delivery component); an experimental data
>repository might be focused on enabling validation of experiments; a
>pre-prints archive on pre-publication peer review resulting in
>improvements to the published article; a post-publication repository in
>preserving the article etc. (and this list is by no means exhaustive).
>
>I think a pertinent question is whether there is enough commonality
>between all the things which have picked up the "repository"
>nomenclature to justify attempting to view these as aspects of the same
>thing, or as completely different things with similar names!

I think that is a good discussion point, and I will respond in a way
that is probably completely predictable: as perhaps we have already seen
from this list, there are certainly common issues across many of these
repository types that make it fruitful for us to discuss across them,
e.g. encouraging and supporting population and use of a repository;
metadata workflows and quality; version control; preservation;
granularity of objects in a repository; managing IPR, etc etc (things
I'm sure everyone here is very familiar with). I know that such fruitful
interactions already began years ago in other places such as the CETIS
Metadata & Digital Repositories SIG list which is primarily for those
interested in repositories for e-learning, but where much has been
learnt since people from other domains started taking part. I also think
that none of the types and uses you list are always going to be
completely mutually exclusive and will often be able to make use of
similar services and standards in some areas... I could go on at length
here about the need to develop typologies of repositories, typologies of
communities using repositories, ecology of repository services (see
http://www.ecdl2004.org/presentations/mclean/ ) but I don't really have
time today- suffice to say that this is an area that the JISC Digital
Repositories Programme is interested in, along with how repository
services fit into the wider eFramework (http://www.e-framework.org/ )..
I think the usefulness of all this is about sharing experience and
knowledge across domains as well as things like technical and semantic
interoperability.

So, I hope that people will continue to use this list for such
discussions, remembering that, as Etienne Wenger said in his closing
keynote at ALT-C last year, when you are talking across boundaries
(imagine strong (Swiss) French accent with shrug): sometimes "it 'urts"
and sometimes it is "very intense" but that this is where all the good
stuff happens.

Speech over! :-)   Will try and keep my head down for the rest of the
day, I have other work to do!

Sarah

Ms. Sarah Currier

Project Manager, Community Dimensions of LO Repositories (CD-LOR)
http://www.ic-learning.dundee.ac.uk/projects/CD-LOR/

Support Officer, JISC Digital Repositories Programme (CETIS)
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/repositories/digirep/
http://www.cetis.ac.uk/

Centre for Academic Practice and Learning Enhancement
University of Strathclyde
Graham Hills Building, 50 George Street
Glasgow G1 1QE, Scotland, United Kingdom
Tel.: +44 (0)141 548 4573   Fax: +44 (0)141 553 2053
E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Mob.: +44 (0)7980 855 801