Midland Valley's Structural Prize Competition Winners 2005

It's that time of year again when I have the delight of reading through and
choosing the winners for the MV structure prize. It has been a joy this year
the overall quality of the entries was excellent, from both the
Postgraduates and a particularly impressive bunch of Undergraduate entries
too. The big problem I had was making the choice - I am truly looking for
the entries that give me a buzz and a real feeling of enthusiasm behind the
science.

1st Prize Postgraduate - $2,000

**************************************

This year's 1st Prize Postgraduate winner of $2,000 is Robert Wilson from
Durham University, for his really well put together and insightful work on
basment structure controlling later deformation. That pushed some personal
interest buttons for me, going way back to my own undergaduate work. Robert
shows a real grasp for traditional tools, as well as being fluent in his use
of sesimic and the new digital mapping games.

2nd Prize Postgraduate - $1,000

**************************************

Second Postgraduate prize of $1,000 goes to Stefano Tavani from the
University of Rome for his work on growth of blind faults and propagation
folding. Stefano's entry was on computer modelling and digital animations of
growing structures, accompanied by an admirably short text entry. He showed
a good use of mathematics and software to impact real geological problems,
where we tend to use oversimplified solutions. The combination of good
geological reasoning and appreciation with a high level of mathematical and
computation skills is to be encouraged.

1st Prize Undergraduate - $1,500

**************************************

Of the Undergraduate entries, The 1st Prize for Undergraduate level of
$1,500 goes to Lucie Mathieu an Erasmus student in Trinity College Dublin,
who was a clear winner. Lucie mapped a classic area of Scottish Geology on
the Ardnamurchan peninsula showing skill in classical mapping technique and
to provide some lovely field sketches and to put her map together in a
software mapping package. She then went on to make some very simple but
telling analogue models to show how the fractures and intrusions could have
developed.

2nd Prize Undergraduate - $500

**************************************

2nd Prize of $500 goes to Rosa Polanco, Central University of Venezuela for
a very nice piece of work from the Guarag basin again showing well
delveloped skills in structural mapping at undergraduate level and a
combination of data and good technique.

Amongst the entries were some very noteworthy entries, including a very good
Postgraduate paper on the microstrucutres in Queensland from Mohammad Sayab
of the University of Peshawar and Rebecca Maguire of University of London
who's field area was on Mars.

Well done everyone and thank you for all your entries this year. It is clear
that the future of structural geology will be in good hands if the entrants
to this and previous year's structure prize are anything to go by.

 - Alan Gibbs

All the winning papers are on the Midland Valley website:
http://www.mve.com/Home/Company/Structural_Prize

** Winning students please contact Joanna Brownlee, [log in to unmask] with your
contact details and the name of your university supervisor, to sort out your
prize!

Dr Alan Gibbs

Director

Midland Valley Exploration