Friends and Colleagues

We thank you for helping us publicize the job offer below. Some among you may know  qualified candidates, please let them know.   Others among you  may be prospective candidates, we look forward to receiving your resume.

Thank you for your interest and assistance

Maria Barile (Co-Chairperson of DAWN Canada interim board

                        Job Title: Project Coordinator for the Sowing the Seeds Project

                        Location: British Columbia

                        STARTING DATE: January, 2006

                        Application Deadline:   Jan 20, 2006

General Description
Organizational Background

DAWN Canada (DisAbled Women’s Network Canada) was founded in 1985 as a grassroots cross-disability feminist organization controlled by and comprised of women who self-identify as women with disabilities from diverse backgrounds.

DAWN Canada's mission is to end the poverty, isolation, discrimination, and violence experienced by women with all types of -disAbilities. We work toward ensuring access to goods and services, access to available disability-related supports, as well as access to the same opportunities that non-disabled women and men take for granted.  We strive to promote human dignity and freedom of choice in all aspects of our lives, in accordance to human rights legislation.  DAWN Canada is an organization that works within a feminist and disability rights framework.

Position

The “Sowing the Seeds” is a project designed to strengthen DAWN Canada at the grass roots level. This project aims to help implement a strategic plan, and reinforce good governance process The Project Coordinator will work from her home in collaboration with the Interim Board of Directors to manage and organize a national forum. As well as seek other necessary funding/support to insure that the forum is successful.

Responsibilities: (Duties are illustrative and not inclusive. Individual assignments may vary.)

Coordinate a national forum on strategic planning

  a.. In collaboration with the Interim Board of Directors identify best possible location for event and negotiate hotel contract
  b.. In collaboration with the Interim Board of Directors, prepare conference and meeting agendas etc.
  c.. Coordinate national meetings and teleconference calls
  d.. Prepare progress reports to funders, meeting minutes.
  e.. Manage administrative duties and keep a record of all activities and decisions
  f.. Coordinate accessibility accommodations for the conference and all meetings
  g.. Book flights, hotels and travel arrangements, as well as ensure that accessibility issues and disability-related accommodations are met.
  h.. Coordinate invitations for guest speakers and participants to attend the conference
  i.. Ensure that a record of proceedings is taken to inform future activities

Qualifications/Professional Experience

  a.. Must have a good understanding of DAWN Canada’s mission statement, and the social model of disability within a feminist framework
  b.. Previous work experience in planning and organizing national conferences

§         A degree in Disability /Women Studies, Social Work, Humanities,

Human Resources or 2 years of work experience in Project Management.

  a.. In-depth knowledge of accessibility requirements for conference, and accommodation needs of participants with disabilities.
  b.. Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
  c.. Effective communication and facilitation skills

  a.. Excellent listening and written skills

  a.. Flexible

  a.. Ability to negotiate with hotel sales and catering staff to develop the best possible contract and positive experiences of participants

  a.. Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve any difficulties that arise

  a.. Experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point and the Internet.

  a.. French Bilingualism is an asset.

As an organization that is run by and for women with all types of disabilities we promote employment of women with disabilities and we encourage women with disabilities to apply for this position.

Qualified candidates should submit a resume and a covering letter by e-mail at [log in to unmask]  deadline January 20, 2006.   We thank all those who apply in advance, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]

Archives and tools are located at: