	With apologies for any nonsense:

> Spaces of participation
>
> Convenors: Mike Kesby (St Andrews), Duncan Fuller (Northumbria), Larch
> Maxey (Swansea), Dorothea Kleine (London School of Economics)
>
> 'Participation' is gaining increasing prominence in social research and
> social policy. But what are the spatial dimensions of participation - what
> difference does geography make to our understandings and experiences of
> participation (Cornwall 2004; Kesby 2005)? Interest in these questions is
> growing outside human geography, and while our discipline as a whole is
> rather late in turning its focus towards participation, geographers are
> well placed to make an important contribution to the debate. This session
> encourages the exploration of approaches, styles and technologies
> (including participation via webconference) aimed to widen and deepen
> participation within the fora of international conferences. In this
> session we are interested to address questions of how space, spatiality,
> context and scale affect participatory practice.  We want to discuss how a
> sensitivity to geographical issues better helps explain how, why and were
> participation works and/or fails, and to identify a geographical
> perspective might help surmount existing limitations and improve
> participatory praxis.  Finally we are interested to explore how
> geographical concerns be brought into participatory work and how
> geographical analysis might be cultivated amongst participants themselves.
>

> Papers are therefore welcomed from all parts of the academy, and/or from
> those actively involved in the creation of participatory spaces and
> futures, in whatever form. Participants might like to consider the
> following question and themes:
>
> ·          How do participatory spaces, places, contexts and arenas work,
> and how can we make them work better?
>
> ·          Participation is increasingly becoming institutionalised.  What
> are the new institutionalised spaces of participation like and what have
> their effects been?
>
> ·          How might participation best be conceptualised in spatial
> terms?
>
> ·          To what extent are participatory approaches embedded in space
> and place, how does that affect the sustainability of participation and
> how can we facilitate the distanciation of participatory praxis beyond the
> boundaries of carefully managed participatory arenas?
>
> ·          To what extent and with what consequences, are particular
> participatory events/processes situated and located within particular
> institutional and social contexts?
>
> ·          To what extend is PAR space 'paradoxical', i.e. beyond the
> dominant powers that constitute everyday spaces, so enabling impossible
> behaviours and unthinkable thoughts, yet at the same time itself
> constituted by potentially dominating powers?
>
> ·          Does "The new tyranny" critique mean that participatory spaces
> [...]
====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.