Hello,

My name is Graeme Ford, and I am posting in relation to the website I have
set up:

www.cgfonline.co.uk

I began to design the site as a resource page for people using the
Critical geography Forum mailing list last year (and gave it a trial run),
and I would now like to push ahead with the site once more as I believe it
will provide a good resource for people registered to the mailing list,
and also act as a catalyst to get more people involved with discussions.

I believe the website could potentially expand on many discussions, and
store information relating to research, events and jobs which would expand
the forum on a more global scale.

I would be very interested to hear about peoples ideas, and whether people
think it is  good idea (or not if the case maybe). I am looking for people
that may wish to help with the project (from aspects of branding designs
to the possibility of sponsorship) and who can help with the site.

If you would like to help, please email at: [log in to unmask]

For a start, a message board system will be put in place. The benefits of
such a message board are numerous, which include: the ability for users to
sustain discussions via the message board; topics and conversations are
never lost and are stored into the data base of the forum (which users can
locate using the boards search function); the ability to sort subject
matter into relevant topic areas for discussion (including news on job
vacancies and conferences); the ability for members to post pictorial,
audio and video data into the message board; be able to contact other
members individually with ease for private discussion (via private
messaging); and the possibility of expanding the website into a main
website that can store and host numerous of articles, events, pictures,
audio interviews, video interviews etc.

This is just a small list of the benefits that could arise from testing
such a system and would also help raise the profile of the forum on a
global basis (by linking the site with other academic sites and search
engines).

I believe that there are no disadvantages to such a system, given that all
forum members have already got internet access through the use of email,
and this way, members can log onto the webpage from any location to add
comments etc.

I would like to know what you think of this idea, and maybe, we can give
it a test run to see how it works, and in time, maybe I can start thinking
about designing a website for the forum (including branding) to benefit
and expand the group.

Kind regards

Graeme