Aloha,

>On 1/6/2006 at 9:38 AM jason winslade wrote:

>Maybe I'm not reading you correctly, but are you placing a value
>judgement on a practice being once highbrow or aristocratic as opposed to
>popularized?

To try to be clear--No, I am not making a value judgement about
Neo-Paganism
or Neo-Pagan Craft or pop wicca by using cultural typologies like
*highbrow*
and *lowbrow.*

Except that these terms do connote relative superiority and inferiority and

possible class affiliations and some other things. I think that something
of this
sort is going on in a lot of the discussions of pop wicca, that for those
of us
who are Neo-Pagan Craft practitioners, we tend to see pop wicca as a little

less than the Neo-Paganism we know and love.

>What is the relevance of such a distinction?

As I suggested in earlier posts, I think that post WWII Neo-Paganism drew
on
a host of *lowbrow* elements but not on many *highbrow* ones. Occultism
and occult lore was far more marginal and bohemian not all that many
decades
ago. Folks who did stuff related to occultism were considered weird,
fringe,
crackpot, and like that.

>Weren't Gardner and Sanders more 'highbrow' than the average Wiccan today?

Gardner was an aspiring author and occult museum operator. Sanders, from
what
little I have gathered, was kind of a hustler and maybe a con-man. He
certainly
engaged in a lot of media relations and appearances in the English tabloid
press.
He named himself *King of the Witches* when few if any ordinary English
citizens
imagined that there were witches to be king of.

They didn't emerge from any sort of academic or theological/churchly or
literary world (even the literary/occult world). They were, I think, more
or less
self-made.

What I've been turning over myself in this thread is the notion that post
WWII
Neo-Paganism is far more *lowbrow* altogether than I has figured. Let me
add that when I've been saying *lowbrow* I've had in the back of my mind,
among other things, the *lowbrow* art movement, which sorta aims to turn
*lowbrow* themes into *not-so-lowbrow* art. Neo-Paganism has some of this
going on in its own development, transvaluating occult themes and concepts
and
things.

I gotta say that most Neo-Pagans that I've met, observed, or had anything
to do
with at all haven't stuck me as all that *highbrow.* [I'm not all that
*highbrow*
myself. For instance, I've written three unpublished comic books but the
lyrics for
only one unperformed and unscored comic light opera. Honestly, I get a kick

out of popular culture and making little contributions to it.]

>Even though your earlier style over substance comment might be true for a
vast
>number of pagans, I still think it is an unfair generalization, especially
since many
>'intelligent souls' out there are pagan.

What I was hoping to hint at with that passage--and I apologize that it
didn't work
as I intended--was more or less the opposite. I think that Neo-Paganism
offers
its practitioners and adherents more in the way of steak and sustenance,
heady
draughts, sound spiritual structures, and intelligence for the soul than
most other
religions, spiritualities, or self-help methods around today.

Musing In The Comic Book Store Of Life I'd Probably Be
An Underground Funny Animal As Pagan Myth Comic! Rose,

Pitch

You can’t walk out of the mountains on your hands.
--Kenneth Rexroth, on proper footcare while hiking