--- Caroline Tully <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> "And perhaps the
> Egyptians were practically the only "ancient
> society" that people knew
> about? Or perhaps the Egyptian aesthetic is so
> powerful it just "seemed"
> really right to incorporate it into secret society
> imagery and costume.
> Maybe "Egyptian" was so foreign that it was
> something safe to befuddle, it
> was distant enough and weird enough that outrageous
> claims could be made
> about it?..."

At that period Western intellectuals would also have
known a good deal about at least two other ancient
civilisations, India and China. But Egypt had the
advantage of being quite, quite extinct, and also
apparently static and monolithic. And compact,
geographically. Whereas the other two were very
complex, with many regional variations and changes
over the centuries. I think that must have helped the
reputation of Egypt as a source of wisdom. Plus, of
course, that some amcient greek writers presented it
in that light (Hernes Trismegistus etc) and Victorian
intellectuals were powerfully influenced by the greek
classics

Jacquelien