Dear list

Here at Poole Hospital NHS Trust we like many places have a see & treat
system for ambulant patients.

We are meeting some resistance from some of our colleagues that children
should not be seen in this manner as NAI issues cannot be fully explored.

We seem to have adopted a "double clerking" system where any (every) child
is clerked by the nurse and then again by the doctor to make sure the
stories tally and all relevant details are captured eg next of kin etc.

In addition to this we have an NAI reminder system where for each child a
form is added to the notes by reception to remind the doctor about NAI

See BMJ:

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/324/7340/780?maxtoshow=
<http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/324/7340/780?maxtoshow=&HITS=10
&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&author1=benger&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=113637
2861388_3654&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=1>
&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&author1=benger&andorexactfulltext=and&searchi
d=1136372861388_3654&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=1

Is the "double clerking" excessive ?

I cannot find these issues referred to in either the Laming report or the
NSF for children

What do others think ?

What do other departments do ?

I would be most grateful for any help/info

Simon Bell

Poole Hospital NHS Trust

DISCLAIMER:  This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed.  Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author and do
not represent the views of Poole Hospital NHS Trust unless otherwise
explicitly stated.  The information contained in this e-mail may be subject
to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.  Unless the
Information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this
e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.