The _Lexique des symboles_ (Eds. Zodiaque, Olivier Beigbeder) has a lengthy
discussion of the acrobat; this is where I went to search for the French
term for the belt you mention. St Augustine is mentioned as spouting
"diatribes contre les jeux du cirque," which may explain why the acrobat is
at his left, the place of the damned in the typical tympanum scene.
The salient points of the brief essay are interesting and, if you don't have
or can't procure a copy of the book, I'll summarize them - but later.
MG