On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:12:20 -0800, niki lambropoulos
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>[I put my hat as a freelance consultant]:: I think
>there is space for subject-based VLEs as stakeholders
>have different needs and visions. in  my opinion, if
>the target audience is identified then things will be
>clearer about who wants what and for what reasons...
>
>[I put my other hat as a PhD student]:: I would be
>interested in a course on my subject outside the uni
>and collaborte with other people who have same
>scientific interests. this collaboration might be a
>shared useful experience as a community of a special
>interest, and this is given by the subject.

You're right - the advantages are much more obvious for postgraduate study
and this is an area that can be overlooked by the commercial VLE products.
It's all very well to have course or course module resources but at a higher
level you are more likely to want resources, or more likely communication
tools arranged by subject area.  At one time I was studying for a PhD and I
was the only student in the department working in my area and with only one
PostDoc who was well qualified to support me - it would have been nice to be
part of a wider group of students to discuss methods.

Some areas of study are closely related to specific software tools and these
are often supported by a web site with discussion areas and file sharing
tools. However, it would be nice to have similar support - not for specific
software but for areas of study.

Jon Maber