On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 02:14:57 +0100, Robert Waterhouse
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear list,
>
>Does anyone have a list of very long flatrod runs on metal mines in the
UK, but especially South-West England?
>Recent research in the Tamar Valley on the Devon/Cornwall border, has
identified three exceptionally long runs of 500m, 920m and 2,100m. The
latter was working between 1808 and 1816 on the Tavistock Canal tunnel
works, working four lifts of pumps, plus one on Wheal Crebor. All used 40ft
diameter by 4ft/5ft breast water wheels.

>What I want to know is: How rare are such long runs, which engineers were
responsible, and when?

>Robert Waterhouse
The longest run in Devon & Cornwall was probably that at the Gawns Wheel
(now reerected at Laxey) (China clay) said to be 1.5 miles long.
The Tavistock Canal rods were said at the time in one paper to be the
longest ever erected at the time.
There were long runs in Mid Wales & N. England eg Derwent Mines.

Some others in Devon: (lengths are plan length, ignoring topography, from
OS maps or mine plans)
Brookwood - 1856 a 46ft wheel working 150 fathoms rods - was this the same
as that in 1858 moved? MRO plan shows 600m long. Length of rod remained
recently.

East Brookwood 275m worked by 40'x4' wheel erected 1864

Bagtor Mine 950m rods worked by 60ft wheel 1862, working 3 shafts

Whiteworks possibly quite long run

Belstone 650m worked by 60ft wheel

East Birch Tor 1125m run

Devon United 430m to central mine, concrete flat rod supports remain

Wheal Friendship (Bennetts) 800m & 500m

Devon & Courtenay 600m worked by 30'x9' wheel

William & Mary 500m 27'x8' wheel

Wheel Russell 2 wheels one working 275,300&900m the other 350m rods

South Luscombe 200m 30' wheel erected 1845

Wheal Crebor Cock's Shaft 900m

Devon Great Consols longest runs 750m & 1050m (rods used for working
drawing machine also, weight of chain at surface made it impossible for
working drawing machine directly from the big wheels).

Alasdair Neill