Dear Kathy,

Try these two about the Kalasha, who have a few sheep but are very focused on goats:

Parkes, Peter
1987       Livestock symbolism and pastoral ideology among the Kafirs of the Hindu Kush. Man 22(4):637-660.

Parkes, Peter
1992       Reciprocity and redistribution in Kalasha prestige feasts. In Animals and Their Products in Trade and Exchange. A. Grant, ed. Pp. 37-46. Anthropozoologica, No. 16.

There is also this one about sheep and goat movements:

Mashkour, Marjan, Hervé Bocherens, and Issam Moussa
2005    Long distance movement of sheep and goats of Bakhtiari nomads tracked with intra-tooth variations of stable isotopes (13C and 18O). In Diet and Health in Past Animal Populations: Current Research and Future Directions. J. J. Davies, M. Fabis, I. L. Mainland, M. P. Richards, and R. Thomas, eds. Pp. 113-124. Oxford: Oxbow.

Archaeologically, the earliest levels at Mehrgarh (Pakistan) have domestic goat but not sheep or cattle:

Meadow, Richard H.
1998  Pre- and proto-historic agricultural and pastoral transformations in northwestern South Asia. The Review of Archaeology 19(2):12-21.

I have the impression that goats and cattle are often combined in African pastoralism.

Rissa