Hi Corinne,

  I'm working on the material from two sites from arctic Norway (Finnmark county) between 1200 to 1600 AD.  I've identified two specimens of otter from the Skonsvika site, Berlevåg, Finnmark. One specimen (a mandible) has lots of knife marks.  My prelimanry analysis of the remaining  faunal material within the same context from this site points to fur processing as observed in the skeletal distribution of other fur bearing animals (arctic fox). This site is possibly connected with the fur trade out of Novgorod.

 We have not published these findings but you can use as a reference:

Amundsen, C. P., Henriksen, J., Myrvoll, E., Olsen B. And Urbanczyk, P. 2003. Crossing borders: multi-room houses and inter-ethnic contacts in Europe's extreme North, Fennoscandia Archaeologica 4: 79–100.

Best,
Colin