I am quite familiar with the conditions you describe since I work in
South Asia.
Your principal consideration should be how much time you have to spend
cleaning the specimens and whether the kind of information you require
can be obtained from uncleaned or only partially cleaned specimens. In
order to obtain useful information on taxon frequencies, epiphyseal
union, tooth eruption and wear, etc., you may need to analyze much more
of the collection than would be possible if you carefully cleaned every
piece. Not all zooarchaeological information is equal, and you should
tailor your approach to the questions you are asking and tailor the
questions you are asking to the time you have available for obtaining
the data to answer them. Mechanical methods of cleaning risk marring the
surface of the bone unless the concretions can be "popped off". As Simon
Davis notes, acid cleaning can damage the bone itself and should be used
with caution and only after you have carried out tests to discover the
efficacy and destructive potential of the various acids and dilutions.
There is not really a completely satisfactory way to proceed. Good luck.
Richard  H. Meadow
Zooarchaeology Lab.
Peabody Museum
Harvard University