Dear Naomi,
    this comes from similar objects from Paleolithic sites in France which
have been described as whistles used in hunting. Of course, there is no
experimental work that I know of  to substantiate this idea pro or contra
although it may be that this original idea was based on ethnographic data
which I cannot recall at the moment. Again, I suggest you contact members
of the bone tool list, especially our French colleagues, who may have all the
information you need at their fingertips! Please contact: [log in to unmask]

Alice Choyke
Dr.Alice M.Choyke
Aquincum Museum
H-1131 Budapest