Hello to all established List members.

I am a lecturer in Computing at the University of Central Lancashire, based at the Carlisle Campus next to
Tullie House Museum. I am an author on equestrian subjects and maintain a web site on behalf of the Fell
Pony and Countryside Museums, Dalemain, Penrith, Cumbria (www.fellpony.f9.co.uk). I am interested in
pursuing, and perhaps disproving, a theory started by a colleague of mine who used to be Secretary of the
Fell Pony Society. Clive Richardson published two books both called "The Fell Pony" in 1981 and 1990 and,
working from remarks made by Anthony Dent, stated in both that the Fell pony's origins lay in the import of
Friesian horses with auxiliary troops to the area along Hadrian's Wall. In the 1980s although I didn't really
accept that his theory held water, my knowledge was small and I did not have the resources I have now to
pursue this particular hare. Unfortunately, in the meantime the story has been adopted by many horse
interest groups and web sites throughout the world, and in particular in America, where the romantic notion
of a Friesian "source" of this breed has been commercially exploited with references to the modern Friesian,
much to the discomfiture of the Cumbrian pony breeders, as you can imagine. Even in Tullie House I had this
story proffered to me by a member of staff, without prompting!

So, I wonder if it is possible for some of you to direct my enquiries to reputable sources that might provide
evidence one way or the other.

Some questions that I have formulated are below. Some predate the Roman period, but are part of the
background of the main question, and some may expect the answer "no":

Is it true that in the era before the Roman invasion the farming population hunted ponies till they "neared
extinction" to preserve grassland for cattle and sheep? (Richardson 1990)

Is it a valid task to try to identify any "modern" Northern British pony breeds with archaeological types found
in Northern Roman fort areas eg Hadrian's wall, Ribchester?

What work has been done on identifying ancient land races from the bone record? Has the work of Speed and
Speed (1977) been updated with new findings?

Has any further work been done other than that of Johnstone (1997 to 2005, York) on the size and build of
British horses/ponies of different eras?  (I understand Ms Johnstone is a list member, but currently fully
occupied with family duties :-).)

Is there any evidence of foreign imports being systematically bred with local stock in Northern Roman fort
areas eg Hadrian's wall, Ribchester?

Is there any evidence of where Roman cavalry horses were sourced from - for example in the North of
England, ~122AD to ~300 AD? Richardson (1990) states there were imports from Friesland but doesn't give
a source for his data other than indicating that 600 Friesian auxiliaries were based at various places on
Hadrian's Wall (Rudchester, Housesteads, Binchester, Papcastle; mostly these were cuneus or cohors, ie, not
having large numbers of men).

Many thanks for your time