Dear zooarchaeologists,

in my opinion, there are at least three kinds of "intrusive" specimens:

(a) those, such as rabbits in British prehistoric sites, or domestic cattle
in North American prehistoric sites, that have somehow become added to an
assemblage dominated by specimens of an earlier period. One can be 99%
certain that these are intrusive. They should be reported, because they
tell you something about taphonomy (e.g. your site may have been disturbed
by rabbit burrows) and the zooarchaeological information that you report
might be useful to someone doing other research. (For example, someone
interested in preservation of archaeological sites might want to know what
kinds of sites are most likely to suffer from disturbance by burrowing rabbits)

(b) there are species whose fossorial behaviour means that they may well be
intrusive, but they are also endemic to the region (e.g. moles in Britain,
gophers in North America). These should definitely be reported, and there
may be a complex taphonomic analysis required to establish whether they
were hunted for food, or were contemporaneous commensals, or were later
intrusions.

(c) And we shouldn't forget that some specimens "intrude" from earlier
deposits. Anyone who has worked on urban British sites will be familiar
with the problem of Medieval layers containing high percentages of
"intrusive" Roman pottery - presumably deposited there as a result of
Medieval people digging into Roman layers. Sometimes one can guess that
different coloured faunal specimens from such layers may be Roman as
well  --  should those be reported separately, or as part of the Medieval
assemblage? What if one finds a typical Roman species (such as a dormouse)
in a Medieval assemblage? Again, I think we have to report in whatever way
provides the most useful information.

So I think the general answer is that one should report everything, but
ensure that tables of data are properly contextualized by text and analysis.

Jon Driver

Jonathan C. Driver
Dean of Graduate Studies
Professor of Archaeology
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, British Columbia
V5A 1S6
Telephone:  604-291-4255  Facsimile:  604-291-3080

http://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies