Thanks for this Steve, and others who have replied.

Just to give a bit more information about what I'm thinking about. We
are currently implementing the Moodle package, which is fine for
delivering content in a course oriented way, and for adding
interactivity etc to content.

However, what Moodle, and as far as I can see other VLE packages, lack
is content authoring tools. To take a specific example, if our library
team want to develop a 3-4 page tutorial on using the library catalogue.
A Moodle 'course' would be overkill - and not easy to reuse outside the
learning environment. What I'm looking for is a tool that will help with
the authoring (and publication) of e-learning material. Probably looking
for something that can export content as an Learning Object or SCORM
compliant package (the latter is good for Moodle, as it would allow
academics to add the learning objects as parts of their course). We've
done some stuff with Captivate (was RoboDemo) from Macromedia/Adobe,
which seems good for animated screen demos, but I'm not sure about
creating complete learning objects with it.

I've played around with Reload, but can't see how we would ever get
widespread takeup of this. OK for expert staff I think, but hard to see
academics getting to grips with it.

Just seen David's reference to CourseGenie which sounds interesting.
I've also downloaded (but not tried) 'Toolbook'
(http://www.toolbook.com/).

Owen

Owen Stephens
E-Strategy Co-ordinator