If there is a definitive trademark that is actually going to be used
across the EU then I think it is essential.

If there are multiple possible variants of your trading name and you do
not intend to use the .eu name as your primary URL then I question
whether it is worth it.

For example if we wanted to protect our name you could have

londonInstitute
ThelondonInstitute
The-london-Institute
linst
UniversityoftheArtsLondon
University-of-the-Arts-London
UniversityoftheArts
arts
uarts
uartslondon

etc etc

To register all these variants would cost a huge amount of money. If
someone wanted to pass themselves off as our organisation, they could
register any number of .eu variants that we had not thought of or with
some other .biz .info etc

Indeed, they don't even need to use your name or variant of it because
the visitor is not likely to try and find you by typing anything in.
They will probably use Google and this will show a listing based on the
text found in the page rather than the domain name.

Ben