Hi Gareth,
in my experience of working with a range of universities the approach Tracey
has outlined below is fairly typical. You have one central web editor who is
responsible for the overall style and content of the site. You then have a
number of other contributors that produce content which is signed off by the
central web editor. We always recommend that there is a single person who is
ultimately responsible for the site. This person acts as the "style police"
as well as setting the tone and direction for the site.

Without a central web editor you find a site quickly becomes fragmented and
directionless. It is important that there is somebody constantly looking to
move the site forward and ensuring that the quality is maintained.

This person often (although not always) sits under marketing and IT being
responsible for implementation.

Hope that helps.

Paul

--