I think these are interesting comments, and certainly cohere with our experience here at Nottingham. We have just completed some research on student decision-making in relation to university/course choice, and in terms of decision-factors financial concerns are definately becoming key. Along with this the other bottom-line factor seems to be a focus on career prospectus, so there is a definate shift towards an ROI way of thinking. This said, key to decisions are still the university, course, and research interests of staff - this being particularly true for postgrads.

Jackie

Jacqueline Hollowood
Interaction Designer
Corporate Web Team
The University of Nottingham
King's Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
NG7 2NA

Tel: 0115 9513618
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

>>> Paul Boag <[log in to unmask]> 16/02/06 09:43:15 >>>
No that's not cynical Helen. Its a fair comment. However personally I still
think it is inevitable that top-up fees are going to change the way students
select their university. I strongly believe that students will (and are)
starting to perceive themselves as consumers will an expectation for a
higher level of "service".

BTW, I promised people that when I finished my article on designing with
content management systems that I would let everybody know. Thanks to those
of you who provided me with feedback.

http://www.boagworld.com/archives/2006/02/design_for_your_cms.html

Paul

--