I've been getting my students to write learning logs on blogs for some
years, using Tikiwiki (e.g. http://itsoc.mgt.qub.ac.uk/ and
http://intsys.mgt.qub.ac.uk/). See
http://itsoc.mgt.qub.ac.uk/Teaching+Awards for the educational
justification.

In a research project we have been using blogs in the opposite way: as
repositories for citizens stories. Many people share the one blog. See
http://wheel.e-consultation.org/ and http://diversity.e-consultation.org

The Wheel (the Irish equivalent of NICVA, NCVO and SCVO) asked us for a
way to collect stories from people about their experiences of active
citizenship, so that they could use the stories in their submission to
the Prime Ministers' Task Force on Active Citizenship. My research
assistant modified WordPress to accept input by e-mail, SMS text message
and voice mail recordings, as well as through web forms.

--
Dr. David R. Newman, Queen's University Belfast, School of
Management and Economics, Belfast BT7 1NN, Northern Ireland (UK)