Hello,

I am coming across a strange problem when I run fixed effects analyses on various groups in my study, and I was hoping somebody could tell me what is going on.  This is an fMRI study being processed with spm2.

First, an overview: Twelve subjects were run some time ago on a particular paradigm (OLD).  Recently, we ran twelve new subjects on the same paradigm, with a small difference (NEW).  I had run separate fixed effects analyses on both groups of twelve, and was interested in running a fixed effects for all 24 together to compare the two groups.

Now the problem: When the n=24 comparison did not look like I expected it to, I decided to look at the two groups separately in the n=24 analysis.  When I looked at the fixed effects for the 12 (old) group, the n=24 spm looked just like the n=12 spm for that group.  However, the spm for the 12 (new) group in the n=24 analysis looked very different than the spm for the n=12 for that group.  I checked to make sure that the problem was not simply a matter of changing the threshold, but even at a very low threshold, a significant area from the n=12 (new) map was not visible on the n=24 new-only spm.

Now the question(s): Is there, or should there be, a difference between a fixed effects analysis when n=24 and you are looking at only 12 subjects and when n=12 for those same subjects?  If there should not be a difference, which I think is true, why might I be getting different results (I ran the analysis twice to make sure I accounted for every scan)?  If this problem is actually what is supposed to be happening, which is the more valid method of analyzing my data?  Should I do a subjective comparison of the two n=12 analyses, or should I use the less informative n=24 set?

Now the favor: Could whoever replies to this also send a copy to my personal email account, since my server automatically screens out SPM mail?

Thanks for all of your help.

Eric Murphy, M.A.

Research Assistant

Dept. of Psychiatry & Behavioral Neuroscience

Wayne State University Medical School

(313) 577-1838