Dear Chris and Julie,

You should adjust your data for anything that is a known confound,
e.g. realignment parameters.  If you deliberately zoom in on a
particular set of experimental manipulations and disregard other
manipulations, then the latter could be regarded as confounds and
removed through adjusting your data during VOI extraction.   I would
be a little careful with this though since it questions the rationale
of the experimental design that you chose in the first place.  There
may be very good reasons to do this but it always depends on the
specific application.  I'd say there is no general rule here (except
that all sessions should be treated identically in this regard).

BTW, congratulations on your recent DCM paper in Science, Chris!

All the best
Klaas