There are many, many definitions of axial like relationships - not axial maps per se - in the literature on medial axis transforms which are part of pattern recognition and have been widely used in biology - we used these at one point in some of our axial map analysis and Sanjay Rana has exploited some of this area

see http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/HIPR2/skeleton.htm

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/context/77057/0

Mike

At 23:35 11/06/2006, Alan Penn wrote:
Rui wrote:,
> As you are well aware, there is no rigorous definition of axial lines, so
> one can only claim to develop algorithms inspired by those. But anyone who
> claims to be able to generate axial lines may as well be selling you snake
> oil -to this day, they remain algorithmically undefined.

Rui,

The axial map must by now be one of the better defined and more thoroughly
discussed representational primitives in spatial analysis. In looking
through the literature I came across one paper: Carvalho, Rui et al (2003)
"A rigorous definition of axial lines: ridges on isovist fields"... surely
this is not snake-oil?

Here I attach Alasdair Turner et al's paper entitled "An algorithmic
definition of the axial map". I'd be interested to see any equally or more
rigorous definitions of other representational primitives from outside the
space syntax field.

Alan

Michael Batty Director Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA)
University College London - 1-19 Torrington Place - London - WC1E 6BT UK

tel 44 (0) 207 679 1781 fax 44 (0) 207 813 2843  mobile 44 (0) 7768 423 656

http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/people/MikesPage.htm
Cities and Complexity · GIS, Spatial Analysis  and Modeling ·
http://www.complexcity.info/ and http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/GIS/