"Complex networks: Structure and dynamics" is a review paper which recently
appeared in the journal Physics Reports:
http://tinyurl.com/7mfuh

The paper contains a chapter on spatial networks, mainly from the point of
view of physicists, which reviews recent work on street networks.

I hope this paper helps to clarify some less structured statements that have
been made in this field, and, in particular, I hope it helps to correct the
highly biased statements in the Wikipedia entry for spatial networks