opps shutdown I ment shutdown

On 9/1/06, Rebecca Moreau <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Sorry for the delay, tropical storm Ernesto caused an shitdown to the office.

Well, as someone actually engaged in the day-to-day process of design, rather than an academic sitting in an ivory tower, I would value software above papers. If Rui knew anything about architecture and urban planning then he would know that theories are not in short supply. I've yet to go to a public planning meeting and not find anyone without their personal theory of what made a place good (so a room with 500 people has at least 501 perfect theories).

As someone actively engaged in this kind of work, I can guarantee that software is far more important than papers. Anyone can promote a vague theory but when it's cast into code then you have something we can all try out and use. All this "My citation count is bigger than yours" sounds like high school posturing compared to the everyday problems that people like me face in trying to provide decent homes, in decent neighbourhoods at decent prices.

I need software which can help me understand how to build something which is more walkable, and safer for people to live in. I need software that I can use to help convince my boss and the financiers of the viability of a scheme and I need software solutions that have been rigorously and fairly tested in the real world. So when you can do this, I'm waiting to download and take an honest and unbiased look.