From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association on behalf of Jo Tait
Sent: Tue 05/09/2006 13:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: HEA registration query - more questions

 Hi
I've been watching this conversation with great interest and wondered if
the time had come to draw attention to the work on professional
formation of teachers that Peter Knight et al (that includes me) have
been plugging away at over the past 6 years or so. Thanks, James, for
making it easy for people to download some of the outputs from our work.

Janet's 'oh no!' response to the suggestion of requiring a full MA for
professional teachers certainly resonated with me and my experience of
academics' busy lives. As a rule I have found that it's a struggle for
them to justify much more than a half-day course, let alone the
commitment to an MA/MSc. And what about teachers whose primary role is
in a profession - the part-time tutors who increasingly provide teaching
and assessment in universities? I've never enjoyed teaching unwilling
learners for reasons of  compliance, though we all recognise the power
of policy to impose roles and practices - that was the question that
started the conversation, after all.

Our research looks at the question of effectiveness - what do teachers
say that pgcerts actually add to their learning and their practice? EPGC
(our most recent study) supports earlier work claiming that people
mostly don't learn to teach by being TAUGHT how to teach. They learn in
a complex range of situated, just-in-time ways that mostly involve other
people (mentors and other colleagues), experiences and conversation
about experiences, feedback from peers and students and, of course,
observation and being observed. People seem to value the environment
that provides SPACE for that non-formal learning and sense-making more
than the formal course input, while appreciating the value of ideas and
theories when relevant to their practice. I wonder why we (collectively
as educational developers) imagine that this space needs to look like a
60 credit or, heaven forbid, 180 credit programme to achieve the desired
outcome - a mindful teacher. [It couldn't be something to do with the
fact that a 60 credit course attracts HEFCE funding could it?]

Read the reports, or at least the preliminary findings.
http://kn.open.ac.uk/public/document.cfm?docid=8640
http://kn.open.ac.uk/public/document.cfm?documentid=8574
Do they add anything to the discussion? How do they compare with Prosser
et al's evaluations of PGCerts? What are the implications (if any) for
Barry's question that started this conversation?
Jo