You pose an interesting question which vuts to the heart of this - how should we judge if somebody is a good teacher?  Do our current methods capture this?  Do our current accredited courses (including MAs) attempt to determine if somebody is a good teacher?

Graham Lewis
Centre for Academic Practice
University of Warwick
University House
Kirby Corner Road
Coventry CV4 8UW
UK
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: (+44) (0) 24 765 72737
Mobile: 07703100401
Fax.: (+44) (0) 24 765 72736
Blog: http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/glewis/

>>> Cheryl-Anne Vass <[log in to unmask]> 08/29/06 08:04pm >>>
Is this the end of the debate?  I was rather enjoying seeing the different viewpoints on this.  I have to come out of the closet and say that I do hold a PGC and that was how I became a registered practitioner, and the reason I got one was because I started teaching with the OU and after a year thought I needed some theory to underpin what I was doing as I was mainly flying by the seat of my pants for the first year.  I am not sure if obtaining the PGC has improved or informed my teaching, but my students seem to enjoy what we get up to.  But equally, I am not sure how to judge whether I am a "good" teacher or a "bad" teacher or (most likely) somewhere in between.

Perhaps, rather than just doing a post graduate certificate, lecturers should be encouraged to do a masters in education.  That way there would be no doubt as to the amount of work that went in to obtaining the qualification, and being a registered practitioner might carry some clout.  Then again, how many lecturers have the time to do the PGC, never mind the masters.

As a lecturer of only eighteen months standing, I seek the guidance of the great and the good in these matters.

Regards

Cheryl-Anne