APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING

Challenging Perspectives on Assessment

A collection of short presentations

Assessment is at the centre of the student's experience. It provides a means of evaluating student progress and achievement; it drives the activity of the student and therefore their learning.

Challenging Perspectives on Assessment is a collection of short Web presentations that are intended to provoke debate. Over the last few years, those involved in developing assessment have generated some new perspectives which, as yet, have not been fully incorporated within mainstream practice. We would like to close that gap.

Each Web talk (http://stadium.open.ac.uk/perspectives/assessment) is intended to be contentious but well grounded. About ten minutes long, each introduces an idea that we hope you will pursue using the references provided. The talks may be used by individuals or serve as catalysts for group discussions, for example in workshops. The list includes:

  1. Assessment is the most important thing we do for HE students (Prof. Sally Brown)
  2. Peer Assessment: What's it all about? (Prof. Ian Hughes)
  3. Developing a more holistic approach to assessment policy and  practice (Prof. Ranald Macdonald)
  4. How feedback works for some of the people some of the time (Prof. Liz McDowell)
  5. Understanding staff student interaction is central to engaging students with feedback (Dr Jill Millar)
  6. I know a 2.1 when I see it (Prof. Margaret Price)
  7. Feedback can be a waste of time (Prof. Steve Swithenby).

Our collection is a work in progress. Please feel free to comment. We haven’t covered all the ground - far from it - and hope that others might add to this collection. A recording workshop is planned for July 2006. If you are interested, please contact Catherine Reuben COLMSCT Centre Manager for further information ([log in to unmask]).

This work has been supported by the Higher Education Funding Council for England via the Fund for the Development of Teaching and Learning (FDTL) and the Centres for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) initiative.

Catherine Reuben

Centre Manager

Centre for Open Learning of maths, science, computing and technology (COLMSCT) CETL

Science Deanery

The Open University

Walton Hall

Milton Keynes