Many readers of this discussion list will be people who try to tell new
lecturers all they need to know to begin their journey towards becoming
competent (or indeed excellent) teachers in higher education.

However, I wonder what we miss?

Please reply with one or more thing you wish they'd told you when you were
starting out in teaching in higher education.

If a good collection of such things develops from your replies, I'll be
pleased (with your permission) to edit them up into a 'things they didn't
tell us' compilation and put it up on my website or on SEDA's website or
both.

So what do you wish they'd told YOU?

Phil Race
www.phil-race.com