Dr. Timothy Murphy
Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching
National University of Ireland
Galway

For all interested persons:

I am currently working as a postgraduate researcher
for the Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching
at the National University of Ireland, Galway. In this
capacity, I am currently working on a funded-research
project that is reviewing the literature surrounding
the potential of Teaching Portfolios for promotion and
career development in higher education.  An important
aspect of the research project also involves a review
about how best to encourage the Teaching Portfolio
approach at research-led institutions.  I suppose it
brings up the whole research versus teaching debate.
I guess I'm wondering if you might be aware of any
potential sources that might be helpful toward
informing such a consideration i.e. how to best to fit
a teaching portfolio approach at research-led
institutions of higher education, especially for
considerations around promotion and tenure.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be most welcome.
 I am also certainly very interested in any experience
that you may have had with using the teaching
portfolio for promotion and tenure in
research-intensive universities.

Appreciatively,

Timothy  Murphy