The account of what Andrew Burden health minister said in the Today
programme on 15 July is a bit convoluted.   Have I understood it correctly
as meaning that Andrew Burden categorically stated that there are no
circumstances in which the private sector will be brought  in to decide what
services are offered and what is bought in the NHS ?

If that is what he said it seems a bit naïve to say the least.  The
Commissioning Service Framework states quite clearly that the purpose of
privatisation would be for "data collection, analysis and distribution to
managers and clinicians".

So the objective is to created a management information service.  What is
the point of an information  system if it does not help to decide what
services are offered?

Bullet point 2 of the concerns of Radstats (printed on the inside cover of
the journal) expresses concern about "the lack of control of the community
over the aims of statistical investigations .."   Is not privatisation being
used in the case of the PCTs to privatise the statistics, to remove the
statistics from the public domain and remove any possibility of control by
the community of the PCT?

Ray Thomas

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.