Giant Molecules at the Botanics

Molecules just got bigger: 10 billion times bigger, at Molecules Matter, a
striking new exhibition staged throughout the Glasshouse range at the Royal
Botanic Garden Edinburgh. Now, members of the public can discover for
themselves some of the vital  molecules in plants and find out more, in a fun
and informative way, about how man has put them to use.

Running through each of the Glasshouse zones, Molecules Matter places massive
molecular sculptures next to the plants from which the molecules come. See the
Caffeine in the Coffee, the Vitamin C in the fruit and the DNA in us all.
Discover the molecular primordial soup from which we all originate, how the
Jojoba bush saved the whale, how the star anise will save us in a Flu epidemic
and much, much, more.

The creator of the exhibition, Dr Graeme Jones, is a science entertainer who
is spending one year as a NESTA Dreamtime Fellow putting molecules where we
least expect to find them:  “I love molecules, and making molecular sculptures
is a wonderful way of showing people the complex architecture of our molecular
world,” he commented. “Don’t come along for a science lesson - just enjoy
these majestic structures.

“It is estimated that there are 250,000 species of plant on this earth and we
only know some of the molecules in 15 per cent of them.  That is why the
conservation work of organisation such as the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
is so important.  Without plants there would be no contraceptive pill and
hardly any anticancer drugs.”

RBGE Curator David Mitchell added: “Our work is all about exploring and
explaining the world of plants. Molecules Matter takes this interpretation to
the next level, showing the molecules behind the plants.  It is hard not to be
inspired by the massive DNA model at the start of the exhibition and be blown
away by the fact that every plant in the garden has its own unique genetic
make-up.”

ENDS

Molecules Matter is sponsored by the Engineering and Physical Sciences
Research Council, EPSRC, Partnership for Public Engagement Programme.
Admission to the
Temperate Palm House is free, normal charges apply from the rest of the
exhibition.

Group tours up to 15 by arrangement with Dr Graeme Jones.

Notes to editors
•	EPSRC
	The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) is the UK
Government's leading funding agency for research and training in engineering
and the physical sciences.
•	NESTA
The National Endowment for Science Technology and the Arts aims to be the
strongest single catalyst for innovation in the UK. In everything we do, we
are seeking to increase the UK’s capacity to fulfil its vast innovative
potential.
	Through a range of pioneering programmes, we invest at every stage of the
innovation process; providing early stage seed capital for promising ideas for
new products and services; investing in UK talent to ensure it stays in the
UK; and experimenting with new ways of engaging the public in science,
technology and the creative industries.
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE) is a Non Departmental Public Body
established under the National Heritage (Scotland) Act 1985, principally
funded by the Scottish Executive. It is also a registered charity, managed by
a Board of Trustees who are appointed by Ministers. Its mission is to “explore
and explain the world of plants” and its primary functions are as a centre of
scientific and horticultural excellence, keeper of the national collections
and promoter of science in the public domain.

The four Gardens of RBGE - Edinburgh, Benmore, Dawyck and Logan - comprise the
National Botanic Gardens of Scotland and are numbered among the most popular
visitor attractions in Scotland.

For more information, please call Dr Graeme Jones on 07816 210239

Dr Graeme R. Jones
NESTA Dreamtime Fellow, Sexy Science Inc
78 Castleton Road, Hope
Hope Valley, S33 6RD

Senior Lecturer,Chemical Ecology Group
Lennard-Jones Laboratories, Keele University
Staffordshire,ST5 5BG

Mob 07816 210239
Tel 44 (0)1782 584173
Fax 44 (0)1782 712378
e-mail [log in to unmask]

http://www.nesta.org.uk/ourawardees/profiles/4989/index.html
http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ch/chemhome.html

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk