When I wrote, 'It doesn't have to fit...' I was parodying the questionnaire
designer's approach. Apologies, Jen. I'm always forgetting to signal changes
of voice like that.

A questionnaire designer had better be finicky and had better design
questions that cut things at their joints or as near as possible. Or else go
and work for a profit-making 'research company'. The two Ipsos MORI
questions were not fit to be included in a pilot questionnaire worked out on
the back of a fag packet five minutes before the deadline. I've seen better
efforts from first-year undergrads on introductory research-methods courses.
No doubt others have seen better from precocious primary-school kids.

Chris