Issue 41 of Plus is now out!

http://plus.maths.org

In this issue we present the winners of the Plus New Writers Award 2006, the
writing competition we set up to find the Plus authors of the future. After a
painful process of weighing-up our judges have chosen six winning articles from
the many high-quality entries. So sit back and read all about the maths of
gambling, the longest theorem in history, the mathematical genius David
Hilbert, the phenomenon of the lightning calculator, lies and statistics, and
some shadow maths.

Winner of the general public category:
An enormous theorem: the classification of finite simple groups
Learn all about the biggest theorem in history
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue41/features/elwes/index.html

Winner of the secondary schools category:
Let 'em roll
Dice are invaluable to many games, but instead of playing with ordinary 1-6
numbered dice here are two alternatives - with a twist!
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue41/features/hobbs/index.html

Runner-up of the general public category:
We must know, we will know
Find out about the controversial ideas of maths genius David Hilbert.
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue41/features/morris/index.html

Runner-up of the general public category:
Damn lies
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics..." find out how to tell good statistics
from bad, and make sure your cat is well fed.
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue41/features/parker/index.html

Runner-up of the secondary schools category:
The death of the lightning calculator
See where a talent for mental arithmetic might have got you, if you had only
been born a little earlier.
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue41/features/daniel/index.html

Runner-up of the secondary schools category:
Drinking coffee in the Klein Cafe
The best geometry lurks in the shadows of bananas.
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue41/features/tims/index.html

Career interview: Business analyst
The power of maths keeps New Zealand's lights on.
http://www.plus.maths.org/issue41/interview/index.html

Also in this issue:

Sudoku with worms,
http://plus.maths.org/issue41/puzzle/index.html

some benefits of irrationality,
http://plus.maths.org/issue41/outerspace/index.html

some more entries to the Plus New Writers Award and all about the finalists.
http://plus.maths.org/issue41/editorial/index.html

Plus all the latest mathematical news and reviews.

Happy reading, merry Christmas and a happy New Year from the Plus team!