Hello all, Hello Steven Bentley

The article on students asserting their intellectual property quotes
John Barrie (CEO of the company marketing Turnitin) as saying that no
student had previously challenged the legality of the Turnitin database.
That's not true and, cynic that I am about journalists, I have no idea
if Barrie actually said it. There's a longtsanding case from a Montreal
University (Magill I'm pretty sure) where a student took a case making
exactly the same point and the Canadian HE system has been debating this
issue for years. From memory, the Canadian case was started in 2003 and
rumbles on.

If you track discussions about plagiarism and detection on blogs and
chat spaces (oh the things I do in the name of 'reseach'......) this
issue comes up a lot. Hardly surprising. It reminds me of the case of
the guy whose spleen was removed to save his life after a car accident
and then, without his permission, the cells were used to create exactly
the cells needed for developing a drug therapy that made the
pharaceutical company squillions. He sued for his share - does anyone
know how that one panned out?

There's some literature on it, too - for example, an interesting study
from Flinders University in Australia looking at students' views on
using Turnitin before it was introduced. This 'making money from my
owrk' was a frequently-mentioned issue [especially, according to the
authors, amongst Law students]. For pdf version, try
http://jutlp.uow.edu.au/index.html It is in issue 3b, Green et al (2005)

But leaving all this to one side, the students are making a point that
needs to be heard: if running stuff through Turnitin is the only thing
the school is doing, then the students have a valid case for saying it
undermines the relationship they have with teachers and with their own
learning.

And once again, the ability of Turnitin to 'catch cheaters' is asserted.
Humph.

Jude

Steven Bentley wrote:

> Another interesting piece… students at an American High School are
> protesting that their Intellectual Property rights are being violated
> by Turnitin storing their work in the papers database.
>
> _http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/21/AR2006092101800.html_
>

> Steve
>
> ---
> *Steve Bentley*
> Learning Technology Adviser
> School of Applied Sciences
> University of Huddersfield
> HD1 3DH
>
> T: 01484 472181
> E: [log in to unmask]
>
> ---
> This transmission is confidential and may be legally privileged. If
> you receive it in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and
> remove it from your system. If the content of this e-mail does not
> relate to the business of the University of Huddersfield, then we do
> not endorse it and will accept no liability.

Jude Carroll
Deputy Director, ASKe
Oxford Brookes University
Wheatley, OXON OX33 1HX