Turnitin is used at the University of Newcastle, Australia, for all written assignments.  Students must be allowed to see their Turnitin report and correct it prior to final submission.  Thus the emphasis is on self detection and learning.  In my School (graduate school of business) we use the overwrite feature with Turnitin and this appears to have had a positive impact on both timeliness and quality of assisignments.

Suzanne Ryan
Teaching, Learning and Quality Coordinator
Newcastle Graduate School of Business
University of Newcastle
Callaghan  NSW  2308
Australia

Phone  +61 2 49 216015
Fax       +61 2 49 217398

www.gsb.newcastle.edu.au

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/03/06 1:45:37 am >>>
Dear all,

It would be helpful to know how Turnitin is being used in practice
within UK institutions.  At Bournemouth we are currently piloting the
software at present and are looking to see how we might implement the
software throughout the University.

I am interested to know how differently institutions are using the
software for deterring and detection, e.g. for developmental purposes;
are students submitting their own work?  Or are staff (administrative or
lecturers) loading work for students, for some or all assignments etc
(i.e. random/blanket checks), or whether Turnitin is being used for
suspected cases only?  I should imagine a combination of all three but
would be interested in any comments on this subject.

Perhaps some work has already been done in this area?   I'd be happy to
collate responses if helpful.

Regards,

Kimberley

Kimberley Norman